New York City — The famous FAO Schwarz is announcing its international expansion plans as well as November 16, 2018 as the official opening date of the New York City flagship store located at 30 Rockefeller Plaza. Expansion plans include:
- In partnership with Canada’s Hudson’s Bay, all 89 stores across the country will open pop-up FAO Schwarz shops, ranging in size from 300 to 1,200 square feet. Items will also be available at www.thebay.com.
- A 27,000-square-foot flagship will open in China via Kidsland China in Beijing slated for March 2019. Additional stores and pop-ups will open over the next few years.
- In partnership with Selfridges in London, the team will open a pop-up for the holidays in early November 2018 as part of their “Selfridges Rocks” Christmas Shop.
- Spain’s El Corte Ingles will open an FAO Schwarz pop-up in Madrid in early November 2018 through the holidays.
- In partnership with Australia’s Myer Australia, FAO Schwarz will open a pop-up in its two flagship stores in Sydney and Melbourne as a part of its Giftorium Event starting in late October.
“The expansion to these countries further exemplifies FAO Schwarz as a global kids lifestyle brand,” says David Conn, CEO of ThreeSixty Brands, owners of FAO Schwarz. “FAO Schwarz was built on in-store experiences, which has made it a global destination over the years. In partnering with these amazing companies around the world, we are able to bring back that wonderment of toys and a deep nostalgia for the larger than life experience that FAO Schwarz has offered to parents and children alike for over 150 years.”
On November 16, 30 Rockefeller Plaza will become home to the new FAO Schwarz New York City flagship with over 20,000 square feet of FAO Schwarz signature toys and items from partners such as Melissa & Doug, Marvin’s Magic and Build-A-Bear as well as FAO Schweetz in partnership with IT’SUGAR. The store will feature FAO’s staple retail experiences including the iconic dance-on-piano, magic shows, a baby adoption center, a kids’ grocery shopping experience, and a build-your-own RC race car station, among others. Many of these experiences will be duplicated with FAO Schwarz international partner locations, offering the world that one-of-a-kind toy retail experience the brand is known for.
Founded in 1862, Frederick August Otto Schwarz opened FAO Schwarz, a marvelous bountiful emporium full of extraordinary, one-of-a-kind toys from all over the world. As one of the oldest and most iconic toy brands in the world, FAO Schwarz has always been synonymous with quality and innovation, and offering cherished memories for generations of adults and children alike.
SOURCE: FAO Schwarz