Phoenix — A PetSmart distribution center in Nevada has been awarded Silver Certification under the LEED for Existing Buildings: Operations & Maintenance rating system.
Phoenix — PetSmart, Inc.’s distribution center outside of Reno in McCarran, Nev., has been awarded Silver Certification under the U.S. Green Building Council’s (USGBC) Leadership for Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) for Existing Buildings: Operations and Maintenance rating system.
In less than 1 year, PetSmart was able to transform an already efficient building into a LEED-Certified Silver distribution center — a first for the company. The distribution center features a white reflective roof, high efficiency heating and cooling units, occupancy sensors and a fish water recycling system. Some of the other upgrades include: purchase of chairs made of recycled content; green cleaning products; recycled content paper; ENERGY STAR-qualified electronics; and execution of a waste stream audit.
To secure LEED for Existing Buildings’ Operations and Maintenance certification, PetSmart focused on implementing environmentally sustainable programs and tactics within the facility. The distribution center’s sustainable features include:
• Water-Saving Fish System: The distribution center’s fish water distribution system uses 90% less water than what is used in a comparable system. How? With a focus on water conservation, the building plans included construction of an underground 10,000-gallon water repository that supports a re-circulating function. This feature enhances the time taken to return water to usable standards and greatly reduces water discharge.
• Water-Efficient Landscaping: The water conservation plan resulted in a 78% reduction of potable water when compared to the water used in landscaping the distribution center’s grounds prior to this program.
• Heat Island Reduction-Roof: The white reflective roof has a Weighted Solar Reflectance Index (SRI) compliant area of 122%.
• Solid Waste Management: 80% of all ongoing consumables are diverted from landfills and recycled.
• Pest Management: 100% of the integrated pest management processes use sustainable products and equipment.
PetSmart, Inc. operates more than 1,187 pet stores in the United States and Canada. For more information, visit www.petsmart.com.